7.01.2010

Cycles and Kindness

Speaking of cycles, how about going full circle? I am en-route to the beginnings of my South African journey -- Viljoenskroon. Not only that, but I've found myself in a bit of bind, with a sprained foot which will enable a hobbledy hobble to Viljoenskroon at best!

From what seems to be one of the most untimely of accidents, I had one of the kindest days of my life on Monday. Two dear cousins, Paige and Leigh, were in Johannesburg to see to my wounds of Saturday and take me to a doctor. The doctor gave me discounted prices on my accoutrements and the physiotherapist saw me free of charge. The airport was stellar in seeing to it that I got twirled around in wheelchair style. And the very hot Argentinian foreigner sitting next to me patiently waited with me to be wheeled off the plane and to help me with my bags. Then, my stellar friend Adrian was unexpectedly there waiting for me to take me home to his flat.

It is a rare and amazing thing to be given a glimpse into the honors and decencies that remain in humanity. In fact, I can see that they abound from the treatment and service I have been given by the random strangers I've happened upon this week. Not to mention the kindness of my friends, who have walked slowly with me, carried me and my bags, driven my car, brought me tea, and fixed my breakfast. So simple. Such a good vision into the lighter side of the world after a rather dramatic spell in Kwa-Zulu Natal.

No comments:

Post a Comment