9.21.2008

Just a few hours more than 7 days

President Thabo Mbeki submitted his resignation as South Africa's president tonight. People speak of the winds of change shifting through Africa and it appears I'm here to experience the latest one.
Coming to South Africa I was aware of the turmoil in Zimbabwe and South Africa's role in sending Zim refugees back to the border (only to be shot on the Zim side). I read of the news of South African peoples' xenophobic reactions to refugees from all over Africa. And I knew some of SA's potential political upheaval with the 2009 elections coming on and the high possibilty of Jakob Zuma taking lead of the country.
Can I say I love America? No, but I cannot say I've ever feared the public's reaction to changes in the government. I take it for granted that I understand America's political process. To vote a president out of American office is a long and arduous process - at times it may reek of corruption, but as far as the democracy of the process goes, it sure beats what seems to be going on here. The African National Congress (ANC), the ruling party ever since Mandela was elected, determined that Mbeki had made some inalterable mis-steps that were tarnishing the reputation of the party, and as a result voted 22 to 1 to have Mbeki recalled from his Presidency. Part of my shock over rashness of these actions is simply from not knowing all the details. But less than 9 months from the next election and the country's leadership is now hanging in the air. All this for a country that's struggling to gain a sense of stability.
I am now in the Great Karoo with my uncle Dene, aunt Patty, and my Granny. The Karoo is a mass of wilderness, bushy veld and long stretches of mountains between the farms and people. Today I joined my family in attending church, which is more of an idea than a physical place here. We hopped over to a nearby farm for church in their living room. It was a day long affair, with tea and coffee first, then a gathering for the service with a local minister, then more tea and coffee and finally a nice long Sunday dinner. It was a nice mix of people, with a bout 5 couples plus us and a there was a lot of talk of the current political crisis. Many people were happy as they feel this current process would be a show of SA's democracy to the world, some feel the ANC is grooming a better man for presidential candidate and others feared that this is just one more aspect to the demise of this volatile nation.
At this point, no one can solidly say the removal of Thabo Mbeki from presidential office is for the greater good of this country or not. The ANC believes it's for the party's greater good...but if that's really all there is to it, no one knows for now. A lot of emotional unrest in the hearts of many people here, but luckily at this moment it goes no further into the stresses of daily life and no violent acts can be attributed to this just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment