5.03.2009

Library Update & Request

At long last, I am almost through with the re-construction of the library at St. Paul's Primary School. This has been an ongoing and seemingly never-ending project; from re-organizing the bookshelves (weeding out-dated donations & non-English books), to typing up every title, coding & labeling every spine, and finally - designing a book-lending system the school will be able to continue using past my departure. To run a library without a librarian takes a lot of organization and a lot of foresight. We’re getting there and I’m hoping by the 3rd Term students will be able to check out books from the school for the first time in decades.

Having a school library is pivotal for enabling reading and progress in literacy. This is true the world over. The students I deal with daily do not have books at home. I think back to all the books I had on my shelves (enough that I used to “play” librarian as a child!)…and I think of all the books collecting dust in attics throughout America. My overseas friends, it would be economically irresponsible to ask you to send those books to my students in Africa (the cost of shipping would far outweigh the books’ value), but I urge you to go through books your children no longer read & donate them to an under-resourced school in your town.

At St. Paul’s Primary School we have a strange proportions of books - far too many advanced reading books (when most of our students are below grade-level) and not enough beginning level picture books. Unfortunately, until there are enough beginning level books, Grades K through 3 will not be allowed to check out books. I know these are tough times, but I would like to ask you all to consider a contribution of at least $7 (ZAR60) for a used book and/or $12 (ZAR110) for a new book purchase for St. Paul’s Library. This will move stones, create paths, and encourage an understanding of the world beyond the corrugated-tin shacks that house many of my students. For a small sum, this offers you the chance to make big waves in the lives of children who are struggling to keep abreast with their education.

Many of members of my regular audience have already contributed to my being here! I appreciate the support you have offered in the past and duly note it. For those of you with pocket change to spare, contact me at sbrinklee@gmail.com for information on where to send donations. I and the students of St. Paul's Primary School thank you in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment