5.11.2009

the Oranjezicht Neighbourhood










L-R: Great example of positive, local graffitti; Street sign for where I reside; Lions Head poking through some residential greenery.

I thought it might be of interest to many of you to see the area in which I live. Breda (Breh-Dah) is the name of my street. Oranjezicht is my neigh"bour"hood. It derives it roots from the Dutch word for "orange" and the famous South African Oranje River. It is a lovely, old neighborhood with many Victorian buildings. There are lots of beautiful adaptations of the Cape Dutch style and also a great variety of other architectural influences.














L - R: An example of the many fences required for people to feel safe in inner-city Cape Town; Cape Dutch-style facade with cascading hibiscus; my favorite - the door which goes nowhere (actually, I think it leads to the above ground resevoir, hidden behind the hill.










L-R: Street view of a grouping of Cape Ducth-style houses with Signal Hill poking out in the background; a great example of the gorgeous bougainvillea vines which provide for a great cover of the fences surrounding most houses; tennis blacktop that is falling by the way-side from falling economy and provisions.









L-R: Three different examples of Victorian gingerbread on house-facades.










L-R: Corinthian columns; street view looking up towards an overcast Table Mountain; my street corner view of Devil's Peak.

1 comment:

  1. Very evocative of the Cape Town I grew up in! And my sister used to live in Higgovale - not far from Oranjezicht. And then there's the cloud on the mountain...
    Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete