6.27.2009

Blog of America

After having spent 3+ weeks in the US of A, I am full of many new impressions and reinforcements of old. My first purchase after a 19 hour flight to New York was a cafe latte and a muffin - all for a total of $8.06, the same cost as a nice, full meal in South Africa. My second purchase was a box of Sudafed - also $8 - to alleviate the pounding ears my flight almost busted. These first acts of consumerism on American soil set the precedent for the rest of my trip (so far).

Prior to moving to SA, I sweated over health insurance possibilities, opting for a limited travel insurance policy. When I fell sick in February, I was blown away by the afford-ability of a Doctors visit, a mere $25. In just three weeks in the USA, with one unlucky cold and a plane ride combo to wreak havoc on my ears, I've spent almost $400 on appointments and medication. All this makes me realize even more so, how expensive America is compared to where I've been living.

The falling economy is set to dampen spirits further. I came home to find old high school teachers and teaching friends with pink slips looming over their heads and careers. Some older teachers have gracefully stepped away, whilst class sizes threaten to grow and high quality public educators fight to keep both their jobs and students. It brings Africa closer to home and I'm realizing American public education is about to take a dive for the worst. What is this nation establishing when the crippled economy means prioritizing cutbacks for the education of its young?

South Africans have been asking me about the American economy non-stop, but since Wall Street collapsed 2 weeks after I left the USA, I've had little experience to relate. I have now had a real taste: deserted shopping centers with shutdown business, legendary stores gone, several young people my age out of jobs, government office closings, empty parking lots, cashier job cuts and longer lines, house "for sale" signs lining the streets, radio talk hosts tirelessly discussing the economy and ways to save and survive, the list goes on...

But America is not all doom and gloom. In the midst of this crisis, the people here remain some of the most generous I have ever known. On this trip, I have collected over $1,500 from locals to purchase books for St. Paul's Primary School where I teach. One keep group of the Mt. Holly 5th Grade Safety Patrol is dedicating their summer Saturdays to run a lemonade-stand fundraiser! I find this generous spirit is huge and full of action even in these difficult times.

On a more personal level, I have had a marvelous 3 weeks traipsing across the South East, from visiting my sister in Washington, D.C. to checking out grad programs in Athens, GA. My family is all doing well. Both my parents work like trojans, trying to keep their heads up, grateful they both have jobs. My mother's garden is tremendous - green and full, her shade trees providing me with the most peaceful window scenery. Dad has been busy as the mulch-master, taking on lots of odd gardening jobs with the support of Aunt Lynn to help my other Aunt Teenie with her larger-than-life gentleman's farm. And my grandmother "Grand-Dub", God love her, never changes - she's still mowing her lawn, cleaning her house, protecting her garden from the local bunny brigade and snacking on cheese straws in her down time. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

One of my trip highlights was visiting Mt. Holly, NC where I lived for a full year before moving to South Africa. I received an amazing homecoming, driving down HWY 27 to the vision of Spencer Mtn. hovering above the Catawba River. Crossing that bridge again brought me back into the incredible community this small town provided me last year. Honestly, can life get any better than a strong-armed hug from Cindy Suddreth, Margaret singing at the Farmer's Market, Scott Griffin's candle burning for me in the window, hard core dancing with 8 year old Bailey Kaylor or the pitiful cry of Bob-the-shaved-and-mangy-Cat on return from the dead? Need I mention that Robert, the autistic child I worked with last year, can now say the alphabet and his sister, Rachel, made the all-star diving team?! Life is full back here at home. It has moved on in my absence but it felt so good to return to the nourishment of love in constant supply. It is so good to know I have a home to return to in Charlotte and Mt. Holly, pulling on my heart strings and calling me back, back, back....

No comments:

Post a Comment