6.28.2009

New York in a Whiz






New York New York. Every time I visit this grand city it is tempered by something new. This time was the possibility of landing there for a couple years to study for a Masters Degree. Columbia Teachers College & New York University were the main aims to the visit. Columbia certainly won my heart and has me sore over its costliness and consideration of how to make it work.

But in between interviews were loads of lovely interactions with the New York crew: Erin, Chelsea, Scott, Paul, Claire, Ryan, and Chris. It was the least touristy of any of my visits to New York, thus there was time spent at a bar on a river boat, walking the new train-track greenway park, exploring a crafts festival in an obscure part of Astoria, a house dinner in Brooklyn and a night time film in a Manhattan park.

The prices of New York food felt overwhelming on my South African budget and the youthfulness of most people seemed abnormal. But as always, parts of the city called to me, especially the mosaics and murals of the underground.

No comments:

Post a Comment