11.20.2008

Waaisand & Leoka

These pictures are from a combination of my 2 smallest schools, Waaisand and Leoka, taken on location at Leoka Primary. At Waaisand there are 4 pupils and at Leoka 11 so this has made for my most focused and intimate work setting thus far. Although these students are much younger than my previous high school group at Niekerksrus, I decided to go forth with these more advanced puppet types. Today, while the older students helped with sewing the bodies, the younger ones were put to work with sidewalk chalk. The little girl I nannied for in Charlotte, Rachel, did an amazing popsicle fundraiser last August to raise money for art supplies. With that money, she was able to purchase a wide variety of supplies, including sidewalk chalk. I've had a problem figuring out how on earth we'd utilize the chalk seeing as there aren't many sidewalks or tar roads to be found near the schools - all dirt and gravel! This little school worked out perfectly and here you see these kids happily rolling in the chalk dust!

Which brings me to....take your focus to the first image posted, the chalkboard. I want to appeal to those of you who might be looking for a Christmas gift for a friend who already has everything - I'm hoping to find a way to give this school, Leoka, a new chalkboard for the beginning of the new school year in 2009. As you can see, the math problems are barely visible above the dust streaked board that won't go black - the board was installed when the school was built in 1976. There are so many things that could be given to these schools, but the basics are essential. How can you learn if you cannot see properly? If you're interested in helping me out with this blackboard problem please email me at sbrinklee@gmail.com.








No comments:

Post a Comment