4.16.2009

After 7 years








After 7 years, Hermanus! The coastal town where my grandparents lived out their retirement together. I took leave last week over the school holiday, making use of my week off, a new friendship with a fellow adventurer, and my proximity to such a beautiful spot. I made many walks along the mountains backing the town and the kloof paths with Karlijn, a Dutch friend who just completed a 5 month cycle trip through Africa. The hostel was cheap, the seafood curry was amazing and the views as magnificent as ever. Strange sights, though, as Hermanus was afire in January 2008. The mountains have yet to recover their greenery and my Grampie's favorite, Hoys Kopi, was burnt to sticks and stones. It lended an eery, Scottish highland effect to the place. The burnt proteas stuck out all over, but still there is new growth prospering by the streams and low against the hills. The green is creeping its neck out to take on the coming rains and to, hopefully, spot some pregnant winter whales on the horizon.

***I couldn't resist adding a few more pictures of cousin Becs aka Beccalina or even Beccalissima! Drool girl, isn't she amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment