4.05.2009

Kirstenbosch I

The Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens are a rich, familial landmark for me. There are photos throughout our family albums of us Brinkley children pictured by lily-ponds and with cycad framed heads. Kirstenbosch was the gold mine of Cape Town for my poet aunt Lynne, a place she frequented often for its stillness and depth of beauty. Her ashes were scattered here when she passed away from cancer almost 15 years ago. For me and my family, on almost every trip to South Africa, it has been a constant destination.

It is amazing that I am living here, in Cape Town, only a 20 minute drive from one of the world's most spectacular botantical gardens. Now that I am (finally!) comfortable driving my makeshift, stickshift, baby car I am excercising my wheels for more adventursome purposes. Kirstenbosch is definitely a favorite spot for a weekend venture.

The gardens are enormous and I never know which way I am going. From my rambles in its spread out paths, I'm sure I'm always missing something. It appears now, at this time of the year, there are lots of red headed botanicals poking their tongues through. Thought I should share some of the season's best:



No comments:

Post a Comment